Friday, January 23, 2009

Fugly Fridays

Um yeah ... so I'm a little dumb. So I picked the name of these posts as "fugly fridays" because I liked the alliteration. I thought "fugly" was just a way of saying super-ugly or über-ugly or very-ugly.

Apparently not.

I just found out it is actually an abbreviation, or a portmanteau, of f...in' ugly. I'm not offended by swearing in some contexts. I do use swear words occassionally. I just try not to do so regularly, and I try to avoid it in print altogether.

I can't believe I didn't realize that. I'm a little naïve sometimes.

I also changed my focus on last week's post from pictures of horrendous weddings (and I would argue that the Fugly Fridays I featured were ugly to anyone's sensibilities) to featuring horrible stories. I also read a Buddhist teaching that if something is not beneficial, one should not say it. I'm not Buddhist, but I think many of its teachings are good, ethical ways to live, and are in balance with concepts in many religions, including Christianity. I think that ideal, of not saying things that are not beneficial, is a small step I can take to become a better person. Honestly, it'll be hard, but I'm going to try.

In that effort, I think that evaluating actions that I do not wish to embody is a better focus for my future "Fugly Fridays".

What do you think of this change? Will you still read the posts?

P.S. I will still look at those pictures of the ugly dresses and wonder, "what was she thinking?" Don't get me wrong here!

8 comments:

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I would read anything you wrote... b/c your blog is fabulous... :)

RelentlessBride

Ellen Mint said...

I can understand not wanting to focus on that which say you find tacky, because imagine if say the person who you are picking on were to read it and become upset?

Also don't feel too bad about not knowing the origins of a slang word, so many become a part of the vernacular that we no longer have a clue where they came from.

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

Don't feel bad about the whole fugly thing! Its purely for entertainment. But I get what you are saying. I think you should only write what you are comfortable writing. All of us loyal readers will read your posts no matter what.

Also, thank you so much for your kind words re: my mother-in-law post. Much appreciated! xo

Krista said...

Ah ... you three were so kind to say that!

Bridechka said...

I am totally with everyone else here, I will read whatever you post!

Rachel said...

LOL!!
Hey, you know, fugly DOES mean super ugly! It's just that it's short for... well, you know. And in that case, that particular adjective is synonomous with "super". ;-)
Don't feel bad. I'll totally read whatever you write. And yes, I agree with you, sometimes there is way too much criticism out there in the world. But we're all guilty of it from time to time.

Oh, and I just found out - TODAY - that evidently there is a "game" or some sort of social norm where you put the words "in bed" after any fortune that you get out of a fortune cookie. It's supposed to be funny, some sort of little game. I'd never heard of doing this!! But, I have to tell you, I have 3 fortunes taped up on my desk at work, and they are HI-LAR-I-OIUS if you put "in bed" after them!!!!! For example: "To be mature is to accept imperfections"...."in bed". ;-)

I hope you have a smile on your face now! Have a great weekend!!!

P.S. - Also, did I tell you that I didn't know what "spooning" was until I was like 22??

Krista said...

Rachel, I was probably 19 before I knew what spooning was. Haha.

I'm totally trying this "in bed" thing next time I get a fortune cookie! I did smile :)

Jess said...

Your fugly Fridays were funny, of course, but I understand what you're saying and why you want to take things on a different path. You know I'll still be reading...always love your posts!