Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Year's Resolution

I said I don't make resolutions. And I don't. But a few days into the New Year, I decided to make one. I wanted it to be easy. I wanted it to have an impact. I wanted to succeed.

And so, I made a resolution to take my travel mug to the coffee shop whenever I get coffee on my way to work at least 4 out of every 5 trips.

I don't get coffee every morning. I didn't want to create a resolution to remember my travel mug, but if I forget once then I've failed. And I didn't include week-ends, because sometimes I'm out and about, and I decide to get a coffee. Well, if I didn't know I was going to get coffee, I can't bring my mug, can I?

This won't have a huge impact. But I will reduce the number of paper cups I use.

This past spring, Wade & I decided we'd take our own re-usable bags to the grocery store. We forgot a few times, but now it's such a habit that forgetting is rare. And honestly, those re-usable bags are quite convenient: they hold a lot and we don't have to worry about the handle breaking or the bottom giving out. When I reflected on our success with this one small goal, I decided to repeat it with travel mugs.

One step at a time, people!

5 comments:

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

I'm a big fan of the "one step at a time theory". My resolution is to try and eat healthy. I know, it seems like such a breakable resolution. But, I'm trying it out "one step at a time". Seems to be sticking so far. But then again, it's January 14th. 2 weeks down, a whole lifetime to go...

melissa said...

I agree. One step at a time. Or in this case I guess it is saving one cup at a time. Good for you!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I like to look at a resolution as a plan... it won't happen overnight, and i may fail, but its a resolution so that it can turn into a habit (or lack of a habit)... you are resolving to do something, but it doesn't mean you'll accomplish the resolution in a couple weeks... it may take months!

so I applaud your realistic and great resolutions, and hopefully at year's end, it will be like second nature to you! :)

RelentlessBride

Jess said...

This is a really good idea, actually and once it becomes a habit (which I'm sure it will) it's going to make all the difference. Good for you!

Krista said...

Thanks for the support, ladies! I agree - one step at a time, until it becomes habit.