Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A little perspective

Wedding planning has been fun, so far. And it probably will continue to be fun. In spite of the wedding planning coming up ... the rest of life goes on.

Yesterday's post was incredibly fun, and got a lot of posts from first-time posters. (Thanks for the blog love!)

I have different things on my mind today. (Well, that, and I can't book something fun every day - we'd run out of money!) Something more important is weighing on me today.

Today, I am reminded about marriage. I, and lots of other bridal bloggers, are in the process of planning weddings. Some of us are planning laid-back soirée; some of us are planning über formal and swanky affairs. But whether in your parent's backyard or the Ritz Carlton, we're all doing the same thing: we are marrying our great love. Whether he or she is your one true love, your soulmate, your other half, or your best-friend. We are speaking vows to love that person, no matter what, for the rest of our lives, in front of the rest of our loved ones.

Let's keep that in mind, shall we?

6 comments:

Kate said...

Amen, sister. I have to try to remind myself of this every time I have a wedding-related fit about which shade of green is right or which kind of cake to get. At the end of the day, I get to spend the rest of my life with the love of my life: what more could I want?

melissa said...

Thank you, Thank you for this post. I am find myself getting caught up in this whole wedding planning thing that I sometimes loose sight of what is important - the marriage and the happy fact that I get to spend the rest of my life with the most special person in the world!

Your post makes me think that sometimes I need to put down the laptop/wedding planner and snuggle on the couch with my best friend.

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

Excellent reminder... i love blogging brides, b/c as we plan plan plan, we always try to remind each other of the importance of the big day! :)
RelentlessBride

Jess said...

Well said, as always!

Anonymous said...

I do my best to think about the *marriage* vs the wedding as much as possible. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Rachel said...

Yep, it's easy to get caught up and swept away in the wedding planning!! Luckily for me, about 2 weeks left to go I decided that I didn't care about all the small stuff anymore. Everything had been set into motion, and I wasn't going to drive myself crazy worrying over the small things. And in the end, it all worked out wonderfully, I had the most awesome day of my life, and I wouldn't change anything for the world! Hey - my cake was even crooked, and I didn't care!

Your wedding is special - because you'll feel so much love. Goofy, I know. But I just felt so special. And the honeymoon was awesome! We really reconnected.

Once you're done with the wedding, marriage ain't all that exciting... trust me. But what's important is that you've pledged yourself to this person and this partnership. And they to you.
And now you can't get rid of them... ;-)
Okay, joking!
Seriously, though, it's nice to know that I'm important enough to somebody for them to want to spend their entire rest of their life with me! And that's way better than wedding planning.