Friday, January 16, 2009

Fugly Fridays: Bridezillas

I have seen on countless blogs girls who bemoan "the dreaded bridezilla". But how many of us become bridezillas? Does anyone who actually act outlandishly realize they are doing so? I don't think so, personally. People can't actually realize they're acting the way they are.

So what is a bridezilla? According to
wikipedia, bridezilla is a portmanteau of the words bride and Godzilla (yeah, you probably figured that out). It is a generic term used to describe a difficult, unpleasant, perfectionist bride who aggravates family, friends and bridal vendors in the course of planning her wedding. A bridezilla attempts to achieve a "perfect" wedding day.

Are you trying to achieve a "perfect" day? Do you view your wedding day as "your big day"*?

If so, these are red flags that you may become a bridezilla.

Your day will not be "perfect"**. It just won't be. Get over it. But if you have a good attitude, it can be a great day, regardless of weather, your future husband's cousin showing up in an ivory dress (honestly, who does that?!), or even if you (gasp) trip and fall while walking down the aisle (as long as you're not hurt, you should laugh this off).

The next view "Fugly Fridays" will deal with the "bridezilla" nature.


Let me leave this post with a story, as I'll try to do for all bridezilla posts:

"L" and "B" are friends. B is known for being thrifty (ahem - cheap). B becomes engaged and asks L to be a bridesmaid. L and B, and the other bridesmaids, go dress shopping. B finds a bridesmaid dress she likes, though L doesn't like it, she doesn't say anything (not being her wedding). Two days later, B asks L to no longer be a bridesmaid because L doesn’t look right in the dress.

*Yes, I know that in my blog title I say that this blog is the "journey to our big day". But do I view it as "my big day"? I'll let you judge that for yourself.

**Note: with a positive attitude, in retrospect your day might seem like it was perfect, in spite of any glitches. Just be prepared to roll with those punches if you need to!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

;-)
I know my day wasn't "perfect"... but there were no disasters, and I had such a blast!!!
I planned and had ideas in my head of how I wanted things to be, but you know what? I gave up control on a lot of that stuff and just let it be. "The people I love and trust are going to help me out with love, do the best they can, and whatever they do will be beautiful" - that was my attitude.

Things will not turn out how you have planned. They just won't. Things will look different than you had imagined, something will be slightly amiss, and some things will be not how you would have done them. But just let them go and have a good time. If you are, everyone else will too!

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

I think many brides-to-be, at some point in their planning process, need to be told "Get Over It"! I laughed out loud when I read that. I know myself and I'm not the "bridezilla" type...however, that doesn't mean I can't fall victim to it.