Monday, January 26, 2009

Scottish and Chinese Celebrations

Yesterday was the anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns, a famous Scottish poet and composer. Ever heard of him? Robbie Burns Day is "celebrated" in Scotland and pockets around the world. The only "official" celebration I ever attended was in Southern England (go figure), in which Scottish food (including haggis) was served followed by Scottish country dancing. Fun!

Here's one of his most famous love songs:


And probably his most famous song (at least to North Americans):

For the auditorily astute, that song was featured in the Sex and the City movie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Source)

And today marks the start of the Chinese (Lunar) New Year, the start of a celebration for many people of Asian descent, not just Chinese. Lai-see (red envelopes filled with money or candy) are given to children (and sometimes unmarried young adults), which would have to be my favourite part having received them a couple times. I know there are traditions that respect elders, but the cornerstones I know are fireworks, dancing and celebration, and lots of eating. Kinda like most Western "holidays".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say we celebrate everyone's holidays. Why? Well, it teaches us about other culture's beliefs and traditions. And (more importantly) celebrations are fun, so why not celebrate?!

So I say:

  • Slàinte, sonas agus beartas! (Health, wealth and happiness in Scottish gaelic)
    and
  • Gung Hay Fat Choy! (Cantonese wishes for the New Year)

4 comments:

melissa said...

The only other person I know who celebrated Robbie Burns was also Canadian. Was he big in Canada or something?

Slàinte, sonas agus beartas to you too!

Krista said...

Not really, though he is in the Scottish communities ... the first I heard of him was when I lived in England for a few months.

Grace Community Garden said...

What a beautiful love song! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

Guess what?
You've been tagged by me!
Come see the details over at my site.