Friday, January 30, 2009

Honeymoon Ideas

So, here are some of the ideas we're floating around:

  • 15-day cruise (Rome to London with stops along the way)
  • 14-day cruise (London to Rome then back with stops in both directions)
  • 10-day cruise (Rome-Cannes-Barcelone-Naples-Rome)
  • 10-day bus/train tour London to Paris
  • 8-day bus tour London to Paris
  • 8-day regional French tour (Normandy-Loire Valley)

Just some of our thoughts. We're totally undecided, and I'm pouring through the tour books and on-line. I planned a trip for us to New Zealand (3 1/2 weeks) just over 2 years ago, and Wade thought I did a good job, so I'm apparently the trip planner. That trip was mostly free touring, meaning we rented a car and I had our itinerary, activities and hotels / hostels / campgrounds booked along the way. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. However, for this trip, I'd almost just rather sit on a boat or bus for most of the time, with some "free touring" before or after. I don't know why - I just would rather be looked after this time. It's more expensive, of course, and you have more rules (departure times, tour times, etc), so there are of course disadvantages, but you don't need to think as much!

7 comments:

Cyd said...

After all of the thinking and managing of planning a wedding, a totally relaxed honeymoon seems perfectly ideal. I would move to Europe in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself so I love all of your ideas so far. I went to Czech Republic for a few days on my last European excursion and it made me more interested in Eastern Europe...I'd love to do a Mediterranean cruise of Greece, Istanbul, Budapest, etc. Wish we had the money to do that this summer as the honeymoon!

Anonymous said...

I have done a ton of travelling!Trust me when I say that you two will want to be as relaxed as possible on your honeymoon--a tour that involves more than two modes of transporation can get hectic and stressful...it's one of the few times in your lives that you will be able to truly pamper yourselves and relish in being honeymooners. anyhoodle-that's just my two cents. :)

Nicole said...

I definitely think it's a good idea to choose something relaxing, where both of you have to do as little thinking as possible.

I like the idea of the 10-day cruise (Rome-Cannes-Barcelone-Naples-Rome). The south of France is beautiful, Italy is amazing, and I'm sure Barcelona fits right in there.

Jess said...

I'm with Nicole. I like the sound of that one. Either way, I'd choose a cruise over a bus tour...there's something about a bus tour that just doesn't appeal to me. A cruise seems a more romantic choice for a honeymoon!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

Can I come, i'd love to go on any one of those ! :)

RelentlessBride

melissa said...

I think the cruise to Rome-Barcelone- Naples is the way to go. Very relaxing and romantic. Rome is an amazing city. I haven't been to Barcelona but imaging it would be very romantic. I have been to Naples before and you may not want to here this but it is a horrible place. Tons of motorbikes, heckticness, smokers, and pollution. If you can figure out someway to get further south to the Amalfi coast if would be a much more relaxing trip - and gorgeous scenery and amazing seafood!

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

I have never been on a cruise before, but many of my friends have said great things about them! It sounds so relaxing and perfect for honeymooners!! I'm excited to hear what you guys choose.

Lawrence and I are dreaming of an Italian honeymoon. Fingers crossed that we can make it happen!