So, here are some of the ideas we're floating around:
- 15-day cruise (Rome to London with stops along the way)
- 14-day cruise (London to Rome then back with stops in both directions)
- 10-day cruise (Rome-Cannes-Barcelone-Naples-Rome)
- 10-day bus/train tour London to Paris
- 8-day bus tour London to Paris
- 8-day regional French tour (Normandy-Loire Valley)
Just some of our thoughts. We're totally undecided, and I'm pouring through the tour books and on-line. I planned a trip for us to New Zealand (3 1/2 weeks) just over 2 years ago, and Wade thought I did a good job, so I'm apparently the trip planner. That trip was mostly free touring, meaning we rented a car and I had our itinerary, activities and hotels / hostels / campgrounds booked along the way. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. However, for this trip, I'd almost just rather sit on a boat or bus for most of the time, with some "free touring" before or after. I don't know why - I just would rather be looked after this time. It's more expensive, of course, and you have more rules (departure times, tour times, etc), so there are of course disadvantages, but you don't need to think as much!