Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Saturday, May 2nd: Jack & Jill stories

So I arrived at the pool hall around 2:30. Wade had gone over with Bridesmaid (BM) Emily around 1:30, I think, while I was at a bridal shower. This was a family bridal shower, plus Maid Of Honour (MOH) Jocelyn. I didn't realize how early Emily was arriving from out of town (MOH Joce is the only of my attendants who lives in Kingston - the rest are between 250 to 350 km away). Anyway, Wade and Emily joined Best Man Ryan and Groomsman (GM) Dinger to decorate the area of the bar that was reserved for us. Singlehandedly (meaning without his wife's help), Ryan picked a colour theme of lilac and white and decorated: ribbons, balloons, confetti, a tiara and "bride-to-be" button for me, and a crown and "groom-to-be" button for Wade.

Some people started arriving around 2pm, but we really had a large group arrive around 3:30-4ish. Ryan ran a total of 3 50/50 draws, which my parents and their friends particularly enjoyed. Ryan also coordinated a single-elimination style pool tournament - winner took home $100! My dad's friend, David (one of the two m.c.s) narrowly defeated Holly, a friend from grad school.

I had 3 friends from grad school arrive - Holly & Elena drove down together for 2 1/2 hours (along with Elena's hubby, Kevin), and Jane drove 2 hours to get there. They all drove back the same day. I was so flattered and honoured they came. Needless to say, they left a little early, but I'd rather they leave early than drive tired.

My grandparents, most of my aunts and uncles, most of Wade's aunts and uncles, and numerous family friends showed up, in addition to many friends. Wade even had a large group of coworkers show up. At one point, Ryan figured there were 50 people there.

My grandparents left around 5, I believe, shortly before BM Crystal arrived. I don't know when GM Dinger left, but he didn't say good-bye to me before he did (he's in trouble for that).

A lot of people left after dinner time (8ish), but some people arrive later - MOH Joce and GM Greg arrived around 8;30, and a few friends I hadn't seen in years showed up around 9-10ish. As more and more people started to leave, including GM Mark (Wade's brother), Crystal, Emily, Joce & I went dancing. Yes, fter 9:30, there's live music at Raxx. We probably went dancing around 11:30, and stayed at Raxx until almost 1:30.

All in all, Wade was at Raxx about 12 hours, and I was there 11 hours. On the way home (Emily drove a bunch of us home), we all stopped for a McDonald's run reminiscent of what high school kids might have done. Yum - I got a sundae.

More pictures to come!!!

1 comment:

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Sounds like you had quite a turnout! That's awesome. And I love McDonald's sundaes too. Love the pics of you guys in the car.