Sunday, March 22, 2009

Flower Girl Inspiration

My flower girls are sisters, and I'm trying to save their dad (a groomsmen) some money by finding flowergirl dresses that are reasonably priced. I am looking for a poufy skirt, simple top, in white or ivory.

So far this is the cheapest dress I've found that meets those requirements, on etsy from seller sweetplume:


At $170 plus shipping for 2 dresses, this is still not exactly a bargain for a single parent ($68 American times 2 is approximately $170 Canadian). Adorable dresses, but that's too much money.

What do you think I should do? Any ideas on where I can look?

P.S. #1 The older sister, Lily, informed me in a very matter-of-fact matter that the best flower girl dresses are in either bright pink or ocean blue. She was absolutely adorable, with the complete seriousness that only a 7 year-old can muster. I don't think "ocean blue" or "bright pink" quite matches the colours of gold and red, but I hope she will be happy if she can wear something in that colour if her dress is white - shoes or a flower.

P.S. #2 This dress is adorable. Sony from Bridal Bliss will have a flower girl wearing the above dress in white. If I was looking for one flower girl dress, or I lived in the US and didn't have to deal with currency conversion, I would consider this dress. If you want any feedback, contact Sony for a genuine recommendation.

12 comments:

Amanda (vintageglamblog.com) said...

That dress is adorable. I wish they had in adult sizes :)

HPhillips said...

Check out the Easter dresses that are now out at the children's stores, many of them fit what you are looking for!

Blablover5 said...

I second to check out Easter Dresses. And if you want to gussy them up a bit you could always then look for a flower on etsy or put in alchemy for it.

Jess said...

Sweet dresses!!

I like the Easter dress idea. That may work, actually.

AmyJean said...

Gorgeous dress! :)
RelentlessBride

Carly said...

I am in the same predicament as you. For the past few days, I have been on a mad hunt for our flower girl dress. I'm glad the easter dresses are now out, but I haven't found any good sales yet. I am looking to spend $50 or less on the dress. I like the one pictured in this post! I'll let you know if I have any luck.

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

So cute! I will definitely pass that along to my friend. She was looking at Melissa Sweet flower girls dresses and you don't want to know how much they were!

Krista said...

PM: oh, I can only guess! I looked at "Us Angels" - $200-$500 for a flower girl dress!

Carly: I will let you know if I have any luck, too.

HPhilips, Blablover5, Jess: Easter dresses are a great idea. I will look!

Amand: me,too!

Marie-Ève said...

Is anyone around you a moderately competent sewer? Because I'm thinking that these could easily be made with the same pattern (less than 10$) and probably something like 20$ of fabric for both dresses.

It looks relatively simple, and children's clothing is much easier than it looks (small, simple and forgiving).

This pattern for example sells for 6.50$ and is very similar to the dress you post, if you add a tulle overlay, a ribbon and silk flower (which you can both get at Micheal's on the cheap):

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/subpage.php?brand=Butterick

Good luck!

Krista said...

Hmm ... that's also something to think about. Thanks, Marie-Ève!

Megan said...

One of my favorite places to look is gymboree. They have cute dresses for great prices, and they seem to go on sale pretty often.

Mara (The Wedding Cabaret) said...

adorable!!